I love dessert. I will talk about healthy eating forever, but I will never skip on dessert. A healthy lifestyle has a little dessert included, well at least that is what I believe and preach. Life is all about balance. We all need a little sweetness in our lives and honey these cookies will deliver just that. First off they are gluten free, so they are great for people with gluten allergies. They are small and just perfect with a cup of hot ginger tea. I love making these cookies and sharing with my granddaughter, can you say, TEA PARTY! Bottom line they are so yummy, that’s really all you need to know, right?
So, stay on your healthy path. Eat clean food, drink clean water and make your desserts from scratch with good high quality ingredients. Enjoy them at least once a week or so and get out enjoy nature. It’s all in Divine order.
As always, Remember to Set the Table with Love. 🙂
Gluten Free French Sable Vanilla cookies
2 soft, plump vanilla beans
1/3 cup organic cane sugar
8 oz. (1 cup) unsalted organic butter
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1-1/3 oz. (1/3 cup) organic confectioners’
2 large organic egg yolks
2 cups of gluten free flour blend ( Pillsbury Gluten Free Flour Blend)
My favorite gluten free cookie blend, if you decide to create your own:
2 cups white rice flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1. Cut the vanilla beans in half lengthwise and scrape the seed pulp into a small bowl;
add the sugar. Using your fingers, rub them together until blended.
2. In a large bowl with a hand mixer, mix the butter on low speed until smooth and
creamy, mix in the salt. Add the vanilla sugar and the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Add 1 egg yolk and mix for 1 minute. Still on low speed, mix in the flour just until blended; the dough will be soft.
3. Sprinkle a little gluten free flour onto the counter. Turn the dough out onto the counter and knead it gently a few times. Divide it in half and shape each half into a 9-inch log. Be gentle with the dough and work with it, gluten free dough needs a little more care.
Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
4. Position oven racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and heat the oven to
350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup sanding sugar onto a piece of waxed paper. Combine the
remaining egg yolk with a bit of water in a small bowl and whisk with a fork, to make a egg wash.
6. Brush each log with the egg wash and roll it in the sanding sugar until evenly coated.
Trim the ends of the logs. Using a knife, cut the dough into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Put them on the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between rounds.
7. Bake the cookies, rotating and swapping the baking sheet’s positions halfway
through, until the cookies are brown around the edges and golden on the bottom, 18 to
22 minutes, based on your oven. Let cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes; then carefully transfer to a cooling
rack and allow to cool completely before serving. Sable’ cookies need to be eaten cool, so
cooling with allow them to set, so you can enjoy to perfection.