RAW VEGAN CEVICHE using hearts of palm, is easy, healthy and amazing. I made this for the first time, back in 2005, when I got into exploring eating raw vegan foods. I have been a transplant recipient since 2008 and eating seafood like, ceviche can sometimes, not be the best thing for me to eat, even though I love it so much!
However, this vegan version is just the thing when I’m craving it. Hearts of palm has the texture of calamari and also has a seafood flavor to it, so it is a perfect substitution. I hope you will enjoy as much as I do.
- 2 14 oz. jar hearts of palm
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 jalepeños deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, dicrd
- 2 small cucumbers, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, lightly chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- juice of 4 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla chips for serving
- Drain the water from the hearts of palm and chop it into 1/2 circles, remove the center, to get rings, that look like calamari . In a medium bowl combine the hearts of palm with the remaining ingredients, except the tortilla chips.
- Deseed the avocados and slice them into large chunks. Stir the avocado into the hearts of palm ceviche or you can make guacamole and add it on top, (photo below). Add the ceviche in a beautiful margarita glass or one of your favorite glasses or bowl, garnish with cilantro leaves and tortilla chips. You can also eat it as a salad.