Hearts of palm is probably one of the most versatile ingredients you can use in substitution for seafood, if you are eating more of a plant-based diet. I have used hearts of palm for crabcakes. My vegan crabcakes won me the People’s Choice Award for the Georgia Seafood Festival last year, so I guess I can call them Award winning Vegan Crabcakes, lol. 😃
Today I was in the mood for a good tuna fish sandwich and I decided, well let’s use my hearts of palm and some chickpeas and see what happens, this is a very trendy recipe, so you can find it anywhere on the internet, but here’s my take on it. I hope you enjoy it and remember to always Set the Table with Love.
Vegan Tuna Salad Sandwich
1 (14 ounce) can heart of palm, drained
1 cup organic canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup vegan mayo
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 celery stalk, diced
2 tablespoons pickle relish
1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon seaweed chips, ( I used Gimme Organic Roasted Seaweed, just crumble them up)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
pinch of cayenne pepper, ( optional, but I love a bit of heat)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the hearts of palm into 1/2 inch pieces and place them into a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to shred the pieces. You can shred them into small pierce or large pieces. I shredded and chopped mine into small pieces.
2. Add the chickpeas to the bowl and gently mash them with a fork.
3. Stir in the mayo, red onion, celery, relish, mustard, vinegar, and seaweed.
4. Taste test and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the pinch of cayenne.
5. Enjoy as a sandwich or over salad.