One of the most versatile ingredients I think I’ve ever used when I am creating plant-based recipes is hearts of palm. I love the versatility of this ingredient because I’ve used it in a lot of my plant-based seafood recipes. , It is excellent when you’re trying to make lobster rolls, calamari, ceviche, tuna fish, and one of my favorite things to make with hearts of palm is vegan crab cakes.
I believe what makes this ingredient so easy to use when making plant-based seafood recipes is the fact that it has a flavor and also a texture of seafood, especially when you’re making calamari because hearts of palm has these wonderful little rings when you separate them.
Here’s one of my favorite hearts of palm recipes. I will share with others soon. STAY HEALTHY and always remember to Set the Table with Love. 💕
Vegan Tuna Salad #Sandwich
- 1 (14 ounce) can heart of palm, drained
- 1 cup organic canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon seaweed chips, ( I used Gimme Organic Roasted Seaweed, just crumble them up)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
*pinch of cayenne pepper, ( optional, but I love a bit of heat) Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop the hearts of palm into 1/2 inch pieces and place them into a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to shred the pieces. You can shred them into small pierce or large pieces. I shredded and chopped mine into small pieces.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl and lightly mash them with a fork.
- Stir in the mayo, red onion, celery, relish, mustard, vinegar, and seaweed.
- Taste test and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the pinch of cayenne.
- Enjoy on a salad or as a sandwich