This is the season for soup. Today I made a Spicy Corn and Poblano Soup. I wanted some bread to go with it. I was in the mood for some cornbread, but with a twist. I have had this idea in my mind for a week to make a Honey and Pistachio Cornbread. I did not have pistachios, but I did have some sage. It is a wonderful combination. Here’s the recipe and it’s gluten free. This version is a lighter version of this soup, still packed with lots of flavor.
Spicy Corn and Poblano Soup
1 large garlic cloves, unpeeled and minced
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup onions, roughly chopped
1/2 cup poblano peppers, roughly chopped
1/2 cup red bell peppers, roughly chopped
1 cup organic frozen corn
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sea salt ( to taste)
1 tsp smoked paprika
4 cups vegetable broth
In a large sauce pan on a medium heat, add the oil and the cumin seeds and cook for a minute to release it’s natural oils, add the onions and sauté until transparent, then add the garlic and sauté until soften. Add your corn and spices. Stir and add 4 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil for a minute and lower the soup to a simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot with the Honey and Sage Cornbread.
Gluten Free Honey and Sage Cornbread
2 large eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature
1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 cup Organic honey
1/3 cup Olive oil
1/2 cup Bob’s Mills Tapicoa Flour
1/2 cup Bob’s Mills Sorghum Flour
1/4 cup Bob’s Mills Brown Rice Flour
1 cup Bob’s Mills GF Cornmeal
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 tsp Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease cast-iron skillet. Set a side.
2. In a large bowl, beat the wet ingredients with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended.
3. In a separated bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until thoroughly blended. Gradually, with a blender on low speed, add in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until the mixture is thick like cake batter. Spread evenly in the cast-iron pan.
4. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until top is firm and edges are lightly browned.
5. Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil and honey before serving.